Saturday, June 07, 2008

Mike a Wedding Photographer?




My dear friend Rob Layman is an amazing photographer, and he's asked me to help him shoot a few weddings here in the Portland/Vancouver area. I did another one with him May 31, booked through Hillsboro, Ore.-based Camera Art. The happy couple were Russian, or Ukranian, and tradition plays large roles throughout the day (or days!) of a traditional Russian wedding. All the new traditions made for a very LONG day to the uninitiated.

The work was fun but not easy, and the pay was fair but not great. Those sacrifices are small, though, when I realize that I got to spend so much time with my friend Rob. Thanks for thinking of me, man!

I met Rob about 10 years ago, when we both worked at the Antelope Valley Press, the daily newspaper in Palmdale, Calif. Rob was a staff photojournalist and I was a reporter, and we went on hundreds of assignments together. About a year after I moved from the Antelope Valley to Vancouver, Wash., Rob and his family followed.

Today, Rob works full time at Pro Photo Supply in Portland. As a pro sales employee, it's Rob's job to serve the photographic needs of local clients like Nike, ADIDAS USA, and Columbia Sportswear, as well as others throughout the world.

No comments: